How You Can Help the Preserve
The Land & Garden Preserve is a publically supported nonprofit organization founded in 1971. It relies upon the generosity of its neighbors, friends and visitors for approximately 50% of its operating support; the remaining 50% comes largely from endowment income. Although the Preserve, originally named The Island Foundation, has only existed for 40 years, the Thuya property, now an integral part of the Preserve, was given to public trust beginning in 1903. We are extremely thankful for and indebted to the planned giving of several philanthropic leaders who gave generously in the last century and to the many recent donors who have contributed to the Preserve in the past two decades.
There are many ways you can help:
• Donate generously at the gates so we can continue to keep our gates open to all;
• Donate now online;
• Respond to our annual appeal letter sent once each year in the fall;
• Give in memory or honor of family and friends who have enjoyed the gardens;
• Donate gifts of stock;
• Include the preserve in your will;
• Establish a planned gift that will benefit both the Preserve as well as your estate;
• Endow your annual gift to the Preserve through a bequest or special gift to our endowment;
• Become a volunteer in the garden, on the trails or in committee.
The Mount Desert Land & Garden Preserve is a 501(c)(3) public charity, federal identification #23-7102758. Contributions to the Preserve are tax-deductible. We respect the privacy of our donors and will not disclose, sell or distribute donor information to another person or entity. We do recognize our donors in our annual report unless they have chosen to give anonymously.